Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Something Shiny

As in, a shiny new WIP. I really didn’t intend for it to happen, but once it popped into my head, I just had to start writing it down. It’s the absolute worst time for it. Not only am I taking a break at the end of the month, there’s another project that I have to edit and a third that I should be editing.

But. I have to give into it. It’s too good not to.

I’ve written horror before, once for a NaNoWriMo project, and then again for that side-blog project I did last year. Both were okay I guess, paranormal in nature, word count below 50K so not even novels. This one however I think will be at least 60K. It’s also not a bit paranormal, but one hundred percent psychological: four kids go to an abandoned house to shoot a movie. Only two come back. And that’s all you get.

I haven’t been able to think up a name that’s good enough for it, so for now, it’s just going to be “The WIP”. It also has, shall we say, unusual POVs. One is first person. The second, the major POV for the book, is third person present (it’s actually narrated by the person doing the first person). And the third is first person past, and a completely different narrator, which means a completely different voice is needed. I haven’t nailed it yet, but after the book is down, I’ll separate out the different narrations and edit-edit-edit until they’re night and day.

So that’s what I’m up to when I should be editing, and it’s sooooo much fun. How’s it going with your projects? What do you think about different POV’s?

PS: I know there were some maybes on my request for guest posts. Is anyone still interested? Please let me know.

7 comments:

  1. Good luck figuring out which point of view you want to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the Muse says "write," the only answer possible is "yes, Ma'am."

    I am struggling with POV in my current WIP. I started it in third person limited, which is my usual style. But I started to need the POV of more than one character in a scene. So, I'm now trying for omniscient -- but that suggests the need for a narrative voice outside any of my characters. Otherwise, it's just head-hopping to me.

    In the first draft, I'm all over the place. I'm hoping to figure it out in draft 2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer using third person past for my standard point of view. I find first person in particular difficult to write, except for a short blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me: I had a great opening for something (nothing to follow it yet) all in my head, and I was going to write it down. Maybe today. After I get some more packing done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hee hee, I've been calling my WIP just "the WIP" for MONTHS, so I say go for it :) And we need those shiny new fun ones to help motivate us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds exciting! Trouble is inspiration strikes when it feels like it, not when it's convenient :) x

    ReplyDelete

Please validate me.